Wednesday 31 October 2012

Blog 54 [7] Pumpkins, spider webs and...



Blog 54 [7] ...things that go bump in the night...

As Hallowe'en is now upon us everyone’s mind turns to pumpkins, skeletons, dressing up in spooky clothes not to mention the dreaded ‘Trick or Treat'...I’ve often wondered what the teenagers who knock on the door would say if I only tricked them? Would they come back next year? Perhaps they may slash my tyres or push my bins over in retribution... so I’ve never been brave enough to try tricking anyone!
I have to say that the whole Hallowe'en experience has become a tradition in our house...as little ones I dressed the boys up; they have been pumpkins, vampires, ghouls and skeletons. They have been to discos and even won prizes for their spooky costumes and ghostly dancing! Over the years we have cut out pumpkin lanterns, had our tea at a table set with monster styled goblets and toffee eye balls staring at us from the centre of the table. We have eaten bright orange and black iced cakes. We have even had pretend spider webs with large black spiders hanging down strewn across the walls and tape that declared that the front door and windows belonged to a crime scene! If anyone were to ask the boys if they have a favourite Hallow’een time I am sure they would say it was the Hallow’een that we went across to Ireland for a surprise birthday party! Ah those were the days when we could just pop over at the drop of a hat! We were surprise guests for one of my uncles...the husband of my Irish aunt I have often spoken about! We had our costumes packed in the suitcases…the masks raised a few eyebrows at security…my uncle had no idea we were coming over and the thrill of his surprise made it all the more exciting. My aunt had arranged for a Hallowe'en party...the house was decked out superbly, you could say in Hollywood style! Complete with a lit up grave stone on the front porch to welcome the guests...all the decorations and food and drink were second to none...and the atmosphere was brilliant with everyone in costume including a headless woman and the ‘Hubby.’ It’s his costume that caused the most trouble...that and the fresh Irish air, oh and the drink! Not one for doing things by half if he’s dressing up then he’s dressing up in style! The ‘Hubby’ became the Hulk: complete with ripped shirt, ripped trousers, Hulk mask and of course the obligatory green body paint. The party was in full swing until the early hours when I finally managed to get a giggling ‘Hulk’ up the stairs. Then panic set in...there was no way I could let him sleep on the beautiful, crisp, white, Irish linen bedding...! So, I managed to wedge him in between the ensuite toilet and bidet whilst I promptly pulled the covers off the bed and laid bath towels on it ...then I proceeded to wash as much of the green off him as I could whilst holding him against the wall...not an easy task when he has had too much ‘fresh air’...and tries to kiss my forehead and tell me how much he loves me...I did fleetingly try to get him into the shower which would have been quicker and easier but then the thought of trying to restrain a naked ‘Hulk’...well I’ll leave that to your imagination. So, the only thing I could do was try to get as much of the body make-up off by wiping with a face cloth...successfully I might add and just in time ... as I wiped the last green streak he lunged forward with his eyes closed and I do believe I  detected a hint of a snore...so I gently pushed him back towards the wall and before I could grab him to lead him to bed he slid down the wall, across the bidet and smack into a cupboard...I swear I heard his ribs crack! He giggled and shushed me and promptly fell asleep slumped on the bathroom floor...ah there’s nothing funnier than the sight of a half naked sleeping hulk!

I have always denied my children the thrill of knocking on neighbours’ doors but they seemed to have survived! Instead they wait, dressed up in their finery with bowls of sweets, their spooky voices and witch’s cackle practised to perfection...ready for any little ones who dare to knock...this year is no exception even though they are older and wiser: we still had to buy the sweets and trim the pumpkins. I shall miss this fun when they have left home...perhaps I’ll turn into one of those little old ladies who sit in the dark complaining about the noise and the stupidity of it all! I cannot remember when Hallowe'en became so popular in this country or when trick or treating became the ‘done’ thing! But suffice to say it happens and for one night of the year for a few hours there is always a knocking on the door...and an anticipation of ‘Who is it?’
What is this fascination with being frightened? It’s not a real fear it’s what I call a pretend fear: the sudden shock of someone in a mask, the appearance of a large dark shadow, an almost excited kind of feeling anticipating someone or some ‘thing’ jumping out at us and making us scream then laugh...it’s a bit like playing hide and seek as a child: you curl up in the dark end of a wardrobe and wait; your heart beating ten to the dozen in case the door is flung open and you are discovered. [I’ve always hated that game...I’d wait for ages and then need the loo! The only time I have enjoyed it was playing ‘Sardines’ at a party as a teenager...the best looking lad at the party squeezed in next to me in the cupboard under the stairs...mmm this could be interesting I thought to myself...then the door creaked open and in stepped his girlfriend...ah well that’s life!]
Yes, Hallowe'en is pretend fear...not real fear: I know what real fear is...
As a very little one, probably from about aged three I used to wet the bed. Nothing frightening about that I hear you say, it’s common. But for me it was the worst experience ever. At the time we were living in a Victorian terraced house that was always dark with dark corners and shadows cast by the lights that never seemed bright enough to light up the entire house. I remember that feeling of being watched: as I grew up I realised I was feeling as though there was someone else in the house that didn’t belong: I would lie in my bed at night too scared to get up and walk along the dark landing, down a few steps and up on to a second landing to the bathroom. I just couldn’t go there and no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t wait until daylight. Somewhere under my bed was a chamber pot, or ‘potty’ as we called it. During the day it would sit proudly just under the foot of the bed but at night in the dark it chose to slither away from me and be out of reach of my little arms. For some reason almost as soon as I had wet the bed I would be hauled out of my bed and taken to the cellar: where my ‘big sister’ would already be standing having wet her bed too! This was our punishment. We stood together in the dark. I would squeeze her hand and we faced the cellar door which would then be shut. It was so dark I couldn’t see my sister but I could hear her breathing: she didn’t speak; neither of us spoke. We cried silently and as the tears rolled down my cheeks my head ached with the fear of the unknown; what was in the dark with us? We stood in silence and fear on the third step. Always the third step...any further into the dark dungeon and we would be lost forever...the black beast that lived in the coal pile at the side of the stairs would come and get us...if you don’t move and don’t speak and don’t cry out loud...he’ll stay in the darkness and we’d be safe.
I grew up with the fear of the cellar which was so bad that I hated passing the cellar door: I had this strong feeling that the door would fly open and something would haul me in and drag me down the steps...so I would walk backwards into the kitchen so as not to turn my back on the door and kept my eyes firmly on the handle in case it turned. This fear also had me panicking about the toilet seat...I know for goodness sake: I would walk slowly into the dark bathroom and lift the seat lid carefully half expecting a monster’s head to be stuck there and waiting for me...worse still I used to sit on the loo all the time looking up at the hatch into the attic to make sure that the monster who lived in the attic didn’t open the hatch and pull me up to sit with him in the darkness. No wonder I had bowel problems!
During my teaching career it has been different in every school regarding the way Hallowe'en was approached: some of the schools allowed rooms to be decorated, children dressed up and even  staff dressed up plus there would be fun activities to just mark the day such as dunking for apples, silly songs, scary stories and fancy dress competition. One school in particular was a single faith one, my own faith so I should have known better, I stupidly presented the children with a classroom disguised as a witch’s coven complete with broom, hat, silhouettes on the window and a huge display of witches and goblins and ghosts flying high in the sky over a skyline of houses and a full moon! I had planned ghost story writing, spooky poetry and my own version of Hallowe'en mathematics! However, the Chairman of Governors was horrified... in order for any of the displays or activities to remain I was instructed to counter display an angel for each silhouette or figure and the children were to be informed about the true meaning of the Hallowed Eve as well as being instructed in a set of prayers to protect them that night. This was the first time I had encountered such fear of Hallowe'en and made me realise that not every one sees it as some form of fun. It was the first time that I became aware of an adult’s fear of ghosts...this was different to my childish fear of the dark. I think maybe most people at some stage in their lives have experienced some kind of encounter whether it is a sound, a sighting or just a feeling or perhaps have grown up frightened of the ‘Bogey Man’ under the bed. We do not need it to be Hallowe'en to be reminded of these things...
The second house I grew up in was equally as dark as the first house but definitely spooky. I grew up with this sense of fear but I didn’t know what I was frightened of! At night there were footsteps that walked from the bathroom to our bedroom door and then stopped...if my ‘big sister’ stood by the door she would feel the floor board moving as if someone was standing on the other side of the door. We would hear the light switch go on but no light would appear. Cupboard doors would open and close themselves, ornaments would drop off the window sills and cupboards...and once my make up bag lifted and moved to the other side of my dressing table...whilst I was in the process of ‘tarting’ myself up for a really big date! This is fear of the worst kind. Not wanting to be left alone in the house in case something awful happened. You could leave a room and close the door behind you and then return to find the door opened wide. Often things would go missing and turn up in the strangest of places: for example my beautiful pearl on a gold chain, which had been given to me for being a bridesmaid, disappeared and for years I searched every drawer and toy box and handbag. Then when we were decorating our bedroom my ‘big sister’ and I rolled back the old carpet and discovered my necklace in between the floorboards...how did that happen? We had a large mirror in the hallway and sometimes you could walk past it and catch a glimpse of a shadow moving past or there would be a blowing of breath on the back of your neck.
I know there will be those of you reading this who are sceptical and there is always a reason for a noise or movement: but we didn’t have central heating in those early days so it wasn’t a case of pipes warming up or cooling down that caused the floorboards to creak: and could the sound of something heavy being dropped and dragged across a floor upstairs be explained when nothing was out of place? What about walking up the garden path in the dark approaching the front door and knowing that everyone is out yet you see the shape of someone in the upstairs window...waiting for you? Ah yes this is all very spooky and we grew up sharing our home with this ‘other’ presence and our father laughing and refusing to do anything about it! In fact not many people would believe it...then one day when some relatives were staying one of them woke up with the sight of a young boy standing at the foot of the bed and in a the blink of an eye he was gone! I had seen this same figure just once in all the years I lived in that house...he was sitting on the stairs. I was 11 and at home after having a bad fall at school. I was in the house alone and curled up in the back room when I heard the front door open and eagerly awaited my mum’s appearance . When she didn’t come in I got up to greet her and discovered that I was still alone. I returned to my reading; when I heard the door again and went to see her to my horror there was no sign of my mum but the middle door was now open and pushed against the wall...struggling not to cry...I know I’m a wimp...I came back through the hallway and as I turned towards the stairs a small boy was sitting there smiling...and then he was gone! I suppose you could say it was obvious it would be a child haunting the house with all the things that happened being quite childlike and certainly it was childish things that occurred when many years later when I was looking after the house during my father’s absence.
I was in charge of checking the house’s security and I tried to make it look like the house wasn’t empty...oh believe me I know it sounds daft but I thought if I moved things about each day then any potential burglars would peep through the window and think that the house was occupied! So the first day I put placemats out on the table, set mugs by the kettle and moved the mail as well as setting a newspaper by my father’s chair. On returning the following day I discovered the placemats in a pile in their normal place in the centre of the table, the mugs in the cupboard and the paper was nowhere to be seen. Mmm... I thought one of my brothers must have been in. So day two I placed the iron and ironing board in the kitchen, put a few things on it to look like someone was busy, I moved the cushions to look like they were being used and opened the curtains in the front room...I think you can guess what I saw on the third day! The iron and board were put away, the clothes were on his bed and the curtains were closed. I rang both brothers and no, neither of them had been in...that was it...I was done...I wasn’t going back alone...the ‘Hubby’ had to check the house at night with me...that wasn’t easy either! We moved the mail, checked the doors were locked; re-set the house alarm and returned to the car...only for the ‘Hubby’ to say; “Why did you put the upstairs lights on?...” I hadn’t even been upstairs... “Just drive...” was my reply...
So with all these spooky memories I am now preparing for Hallowe'en, the ‘Cutie-pie’ [...Intelligent-programmer... as he now wishes to be known!] has his costume ready, we have the wigs and masks and we have the pumpkins cut out...the cobwebs sway in the draft from the door, the plastic bats and paper chains are hanging and there is an air of expectancy with the bowl of toffee eyeballs, ghost shaped marshmallows and creepy, bloodied hand peeping out of the lollipops...all set by the door…  
                             ...all we need now is the dark...
                                 ...“Whoahha...eee heeeheeeh arrrggghhh...”
...well you get the picture...
I hope you have fun this Hallowe'en and that the spooks you see and the bumps and crashes you hear and the fear you feel are... all only pretend...



Blog 54[7]
Copyright©GML2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment